Questions to Ask Your Doctor
The questions below provide a way to discuss your joint pain with your doctor or specialist, and whether you’re a joint replacement candidate. Take them with you to your doctor, and be sure to ask any additional questions you may have to address your concerns:
- Are there any pain relief options for me that could work as well as joint replacement?
- If I have joint replacement, how much will it relieve my pain?
- How is the procedure done?
- What do you do to manage the pain after the surgery?
- What are the risks or complications of joint replacement?
- How long will I be in the hospital, and how soon after having the procedure can I get back to normal daily activities?
- Is joint replacement covered by my insurance?
- After the procedure, will I see you or my regular doctor for follow-up care?
- If I decide to have joint replacement, which company’s product do you think will be best for me? Why?
- If I have joint replacement, will you perform my surgery? How many of these procedures have you performed?
- What kind of activities will I be able to participate in after joint replacement?